Monday, March 17, 2014

Some Like it Hot


Ok, so last week I mentioned how it's often rare for me to be out and about and an almost complete cartoon idea just pops into my head. Well, it does seem to be happening a bit more than usual of late, which I just believe is that over time I've conditioned my brain to search out for these ideas. This weeks cartoon idea came to me the other day when I was driving around and I saw a sign advertising a "Psychic Medium" on the side of the road. My first thought was "I wonder if they have extra hot psychics as well?", I don't mind extra hot, I usually get medium I admit...or is that mild? Crap, which one is hotter? I always get them mixed up.....food that is, not psychics, that would be just weird, no idea what a mild psychic would look like. So that was it, I had the basic idea all that took was a bit of figuring out what the picture would be. On the day I drew this (Last Wednesday) I went for a walk in the park with a coffee as I do on Wednesday mornings and for some reason I kept thinking about this idea. As a side note taking a walk in the park with some mellow tunes playing on some headphones and drinking a coffee is great to get the creative juices flowing. In the beginning it was the same format but instead of a hot chick it was just the medium on fire running away, but I kept thinking about other ways to show "extra hot" until I came up with the idea of a hot chick instead. Which is more of my style than a burning psychic anyway.

Now I had no idea what cartoon I was going to draw later that day by the time I got home, but for some reason I kept coming back to this idea. I know it's rather silly, but the more I thought about it the more I liked it! After I did the initial sketch I ended up liking the look of it as well, so I couldn't help myself! Sometimes an idea just grabs hold and I can't let it go until I get it out, it's hard to explain and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Speaking of training my brain for ideas, in the last year or so, I've gotten in the habit of always having a small notebook and pen in my back pocket when I leave the house (which is an awesome idea people by the way), because you never know when an idea can hit you. That and I have really shit memory so I used to often forget ideas I got, but not anymore! But last Saturday I went to work (at my part-time retail job) and I'd forgotten it, and man it bugged me and I kept having that 'something's missing' feeling. So much so, I went to a newsagent and bought a new pen and notebook! Which if you knew me, you'd know I need no excuse to buy stationary, that's for sure. Women buy shoes, I buy stationary....I'm weird I know. After that I was all good for the rest of the day! Even wrote down some good, half-ideas, win, win!

Anyway, hope you like it, see you next time!


Mike

  

No comments:

Post a Comment