Monday, June 3, 2013

Curly Traces


You know what? After all these years I think I've finally found the best system for brainstorming cartoon ideas! Riding on the bus with headphones on and a notebook on my lap. Simple yes, but effective! I can't procrastinate as I only have a short time each way and pretty much nothing else to do, I don't know why, but it just seems to get me more focused than normal. Don't get me wrong though, all my other methods still work well, as the notebooks I bring on the bus are full of random notes from many different times and locations. So all my methods combined tend to work I guess. Anyway, so I finally had a chance to take a bus ride into the city by myself last Friday, and seeing how productive it was I might try and do that every couple of weeks or so from now on. Now if you remember I mentioned last week that I had a cartoon half done and guess what? This isn't it, as I got this idea on the bus ride home to do some work  on Friday and liked it so much I just had to do it!

I've mentioned before, that sometimes all it takes is for me is to see a word or a phrase and a little lightbulb goes off in my head to let me know that there's something there to use for an idea later on. This one? I saw the phrase "May contain traces of nuts" somewhere and that's pretty much all I had written down eventually. When I first started developing the idea I was going with a joke revolving around Mr Peanut (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=mr+peanut&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SjirUbS3BsiyiAeNn4CQBQ&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=955) and ladies who were alergic to nuts not being able to have sex with him or something along those lines. Then I thought about 'nuts' and 'balls' (that sounds wrong when you say that out loud honestly, if only I was thinking out loud on the bus, ha!), and and that a trace of 'nuts' might be a pube and then I pretty much was on the path to this idea from there. So, sorry Mr Peanut, maybe next time buddy, next time....

Alrighty, see ya

Mike

2 comments:

  1. Hey There.
    I discovered your blog the use of msn.
    This is a really well written article.
    I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful information.
    Thank you for the post. I'll definitely comeback.
    You are welcome to my blog
    http://goldjewellery2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete