Monday, August 1, 2011

Chief vs Chef

































This week's cartoon is one for the gaming nerds out there. As you may or may not know I'm a big gamer myself (I work in a games department of a retail store, so no big surprise there), and I really want to do some more gaming related gags, but not for here. I wanted to keep this blog more general rather than subject specific, I may start another gaming blog thing eventually if I can find that time that is. Anyone keen to do it with me? So if you're looking at this gag and have no idea what it's about then sorry my bad, I couldn't help myself! Allow me to explain, you see Master Chief is an armoured killing machine dude from the Halo video games (that's his armoured arm on the right there holding the just fired rifle) and Master Chef is a reality cooking TV show that quite big here in Australia. So I don't normally watch reality TV, no wait....I'm full of shit, ok so I don't like reality TV, but I end up getting sucked in sometimes.....like Master Chef, Next Top Model, Survivor.....ok so not just sometimes! God, get off my back already geeze! Master Chef is one of those times I get sucked in, and this week is the big finals week, hence why I did this cartoon now. In fact I got the idea for this cartoon last year during season 2 of Master Chef, but as I wasn't drawing cartoons at the time I just put it on the 'back-burner' so to speak. As I said before, I didn't really want to have any gamer gags on this blog, and originally I was going to do this gag as a 'bonus' mid-week cartoon because of that, but I just kept running out of time, so screw it.


As far as the joke goes, this one is an example of playing with words humor, which I am a big fan of. Wether it's subtle spelling changes or a really good example of this type of humor is when two words are spelt the same yet have two different meanings, which is called a Homonym. The English language is full of Homonym's and you'd be amazed at how many good jokes you can get from them, check out the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homonym. One of my favourite Homonym jokes is from the comedian Jimeoin, "Did you hear about the two antennas that got married?….the wedding was a disaster…but the reception was great"


Man I spent some time making sure that the Chief's armoured arm was accurate as I could do, what do you think? I was going to draw proper caricatures of the Master Chef judges for this one, but I don't think it suits my style for one and two, caricatures really give me the shits. Oh I can do them if I have to, it just takes awhile and frustrates the absolute snot of out me. All I need to do is just practice them some more honestly, but I don't want to, there's other elements of my art I'd rather improve and practice on honestly. Plus it gives my an good excuse not to end up being one of those guys who busk caricatures in malls.....I don't want to be that guy.


Alrighty then, time to make this one short and sweet, it's getting late and I've got to go pick up my boy from daycare, so until next time my friends!


Mike

2 comments:

  1. Why did you kill off Matt and not bouncy George? Does Matt's cravat go to cravat heaven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly it was purely a design decision! Matt always sits on the far right, and I like having my speech bubbles on the top left! (It comes from when I studied Graphic Design and I was always taught to place vital info in a Z pattern, as that's how we read naturally)

    So it's nothing personal Matt! Seriously, why does George bounce up and down so much when he talks?

    ReplyDelete